Wednesday, January 19, 2011

5th Day at Sea--Wow!

January 19,  Day 15 at sea

What a lovely day.  Mostly sunny.  I had my Scandinavian breakfast of pickled herring, smoked salmon and hard boiled egg plus papaya and blueberries.  

This is the longest I have ever been at sea and it’s rather fascinating.  Did you know that the Pacific Ocean encompasses one third of the Earth’s surface, making it the largest body of water with an area of 69.4 million square miles—an area significantly larger than the entire Earth’s landmass?

The long time cruisers seem quite at home. I really don’t miss the land and have become acclimatized to the movement.  What has been a bit difficult is lecturing each day and doing the preparation.   I have not been able to work on my own writing for several days.  I am however scheduling some easier classes the next couple of days at sea. 

Did you know what December’s birthstone is now Tanzanite?  We had a class on gemstones.  While I have always liked turquoise, I love now having a rare and expensive gem!  I have my eye on a gorgeous ring and necklace, but am afraid to find out what it costs. My dreams will be shattered. J 

So tomorrow we anchor just off Easter Island and tenders will take us to shore.  We’re excited.  I’ll share more about the island tomorrow.

No comments: