Saturday, March 23, 2013

Playing with Cookie Dough


Pat's Coconut Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies 

(Paleo compliant)
These gluten (grain) free cookies have a great taste and hold together quite well. They're very moist and do best if refrigerated.  Please be advised that this recipe is in its experimental phase and you'll be trying it at your own risk.  Next  time I make them, I think I will add just a little more almond flour so they are not quite so soft.  However, not being a mad scientist chef like Alton Brown, I'm not exactly sure which ingredient will work best to firm them up. If you want to give the recipe  a try I'd love to hear the results. I was hankering for some of my Norwegian Grandmother's Oatmeal cookies, but needed to eliminate the flour and the oatmeal to make them gluten free.  I would make these again. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dry Ingredients:
2 Cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Note:  I like to mix up my dry and wet ingredients  separately, then mix them together. 

Wet Ingredients:
I cup coconut milk (organic--I use 365 from whole foods) soured with 2 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup raw honey (may add more to taste) 
1/2 cup virgin organic coconut oil (melt with honey)
3 eggs beaten
2 tsp vanilla

Once the ingredients are mixed together add 1/2 to 1 cup gluten free chocolate chips.  (Should be 85% or more chocolate.  I use a gluten free, soy free chip); and 1 cup chopped walnuts or other nut of choice.  Of course you can do raisins or cranberries as well.  Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat sheet. Scoop up some dough, make a ball and flatten it.   

Bake for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned.

The Healthy Norwegian

I am seriously working on a new blog called The Healthy Norwegian in which I'll be sharing recipes, food tips, important facts and other miscellaneous foodie things.  

No comments: