Sunday, February 6, 2011

The History of Bingo


Day 31 at Sea, February 5, 2011

We are at sea again. Our newspaper, which we get everyday didn’t have a lot to say today.  The headline is “The History of Bingo”.  The bingo game can be traced back to a lottery game called “LoGiuoco Code Loto,” played in Italy in the early 1500s. 

We also learned about the Bulbous Bow.  The bulbous bow is the torpedo shape part of the ship’s hull. It protrudes out of the bow just below the waterline and water is forced to flow over it. It then creates a trough by the V shape of the bow. Basically it reduces the vessel’s wake thus giving more energy to the forward motion of the ship. It also helps with fuel efficiency. 

Now aren’t you happy to hear that! J  I actually love days at sea because I’m fairly productive and I get to teach my class.  I usually get some time at the pool and then it’s time for dinner. 

I’ll try to send more of this useful info soon, but we are in port for 8 days in a row in different ports in New Zealand.


No comments: