Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dunedin, New Zealand

Day 38; Saturday Feb. 12, 2011
I Lied… I thought last blog we’d be going to Oban, but I missed our actual next stop.  Dunedin is situated at the head of Otago Harbour and has a Scottish flavor.  It is the home of Cadbury Chocolates.  Archeologists believe it was a multi moa-hunter site around 1100 ACE.  Captain James Cook spotted penguins and seals in this area.  The area was settled by Scotts and founded as Dunedin (Du`n E`ideann), the Scottish Gaelic name for Edinburgh. 

We arrived on the one day of the year when the townspeople put on a major street festival. It went on for blocks and blocks and so many people you could hardly move among them. There must have been a 1,000 or more booths or stalls. I was surprised to see how green and lovely this place is. More vegetation here than at our last stop.  I’m reminded of the Northwest.  Later, Pat

No comments: